Saturday, November 8, 2008

For Now . . .

The first thing I did when I woke up Wednesday was to look out the window. The sun was rising in the east, the trash trucks were rolling down the street, children were waiting at the bus stops. I even heard a bird chirping.
It was all good, all normal.
This was a blessing because when I put my head on the pillow on Tuesday, I anticipated the Apocalypse. After 21 months of convincing myself that an Obama win would indeed bring change, only of a devastating nature, it was easy to think that life as I knew it would be over.
But life has a funny way of slapping you in the face and pushing you forward, even when you feel battered and bruised. So I'm moving forward. Slowly.
I'm not happy. Nothing about the prospect of an Obama administration gives me hope that my worldview will be manifested in either the policy or the philosophy of the president-elect. He's as far left as any politician in my lifetime, and is most likely even more liberal than he appears.
And yet, despite my sorrow and the unwavering belief that John McCain deserved us and we deserved him, I'm willing to give Barack Obama the benefit of the doubt.
For now.
Everyone gets a honeymoon, and I'm willing to take a watch-and-wait attitude for a while. . . .

To read the rest of Christine Flowers' column from the Philadelphia Daily News click here.

No comments: