Friday, October 23, 2009

Obamacare Equals Cost Hikes

A new report from government economic experts concluded that the nation's medical costs will keep spiraling upward even faster than they are now under leading health reform legislation pending in the House.
The report found that the nation's health care tab, now at about $2.5 trillion annually, is projected to approach $4.7 trillion in 2019 without the legislation. With the legislation, national health care spending would be nearly $4.8 trillion in 2019.
Administration officials quickly rejected the report's findings, claiming that it is out of date due to changes when it is merged with other House legislation and a Senate bill.
But to us, it just sounds to us like "someone" isn't happy about hearing the truth....
Learn more about the report's findings and tell us what you think about this numbers game on PublicPlanFacts.org.

2 comments:

Radu Gherman said...

Dan, this issue hits home for me. I am part of those millions of Americans that are unisured. I quit my job months ago because the company I worked for told me that my personal ethics were getting in the way of doing what they needed me to do. I am working as a consultant now, but my benefits won't kick in for a few months. I've spent the last two weeks fighting off the swine flu with a bit of pneumonia - which is why my comments have probably been a little harsh.
My girlfriend has had chronic migranes all of her life, and I admire her struggle with them as she fought them to finish school. We're both struck in this horrific job market, and she has not been able to find an insurance company to cover her because of her pre-existing condition. We've sacrificed my health insurance premium to pay for her prescriptions.
I'm not whining. I did not apply for unemployment when I left my job; I waited tables because I believe that hard work is the only thing that will get us through these tough times. And it has. We're both going to be employed soon. Crisis averted.
But what if my pneumonia had gotten worse, or what if it hadn't been the kind you fight off in bed. What if I had been forced to go to a hospital?
I'm lucky. I dodged a bullet. But many people don't.
It may be that after years of working as a professional my attitude toward this issue may change, and my health plan may feel a bit safer than a government option. I hope that doesn't happen, partly because I don't want to forget what I've been through at this stage in life.
What I want to hear from sites like this one and the entire GOP is THEIR plan. What are they prepared to do. Give ME options.

Dan Cirucci said...

Gadu:
Republicans have had a plan in place for quite some time.
The GOP has sponsored the "Empowering Patients First Act."
This legislation provides three main pillars to provide affordable, quality care for everyone.
A one page summary of the plan can be found at http://rsc.tomprice.house.gov/UploadedFiles/RSC_EPFA_One-Page_Summary--FINAL.pdf
The plan proposes solutions for health care reform that offer more patient-centered choices and care of the highest quality. The Empowering Patients First Act is a budget neutral proposal based on the fundamental principle that personal medical decisions should be made by patients in consultation with their doctors rather than unaccountable bureaucrats in Washington. The plan will make insurance providers responsive to patients, and coverage more affordable and accessible.
More here: http://rsc.tomprice.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=140115