“The Democrats are declaring today’s vote historic, and they are right,” Mr. Toomey said. “For the first time in our history, one political party has used every trick in the book to force a brand new government entitlement program though Congress despite bipartisan opposition. The extreme politics of one-party rule has succeeded in passing a bill that will raise the cost of health care for many Americans, impose billions of dollars in new tax increases, and give government unprecedented power over people’s health care decisions. Today is not a cause for a celebration but a cause for concern about the state of our economy, our health care, and our political system.”
- Contains $569.2 billion in tax increases
- Contains $523 billion in Medicare cuts
- Uses accounting gimmicks to hide the true cost of the bill
- Still contains a host of sweetheart deals, including special handouts for Louisiana, Montana, Connecticut, and Tennessee.
- Will result in job losses by imposing a huge penalty on businesses that cannot afford to provide their workers with health coverage
- Will result in a huge increase in health care premiums for individuals
“I pledge to the people of Pennsylvania,” Mr. Toomey continued, “that if I’m elected to the U.S. Senate, I will work to eliminate the job-killing tax increases, deficit spending, Medicare cuts, premium increases, and sweetheart deals in this bill, and replace them with commonsense bipartisan health care reforms that lower premiums, give doctors and patients more control of health care decisions, and do not further burden our troubled economy.”