Friday, June 8, 2018

You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks . . .

There are three things I never really took to: Telling jokes, playing games or reading the comic pages of the newspaper.
For the most part, I still don't tell jokes because canned humor has never appealed to me. It always seems somewhat forced. The funniest moments are real and natural. The best humor comes from real life. So I laugh at myself and at the world spontaneously, as things happen.

I don't usually play games because, well -- I'm just not a very good loser. And, I'm not very detail oriented and games require concentration and attention to detail. Card games, for example are baffling to me.
That leaves the comics.
I never read them (except for Nancy, occasionally) until now. Though Nancy and Nancy's creator are gone, I have latched onto a few classic comics that are still around and one or two new ones.
I love Blondie, Marmaduke and Beatle Bailey. Thank goodness they're still around.
I also follow Crankshaft occasionally.
After all these years, I've finally discovered that the comic strips are a nice way to start the day.
So, I suppose you can teach an old duke new tricks, Marmaduke excepted, of course.

No comments: