Friday, August 26, 2016

Yes, Incredible Obstacles CAN Be Overcome . . .

Felix Alberto of North Philadelphia, a recent graduate of Saint Gabriel’s Hall of Catholic Social Services of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, was honored as Pennsylvania’s GED® Student of the Year. As part of this recognition, he received a $1,000 dollar scholarship to the college of his choice and an iPad.

Graduates were nominated by their educators for their outstanding determination, hard work, and perseverance to pass the GED® test. The award was presented by GED® Testing Service at its national Annual Conference in Alexandria, Virginia.

Felix Alberto had a difficult childhood, facing poverty and neglect, but found caring support and renewed purpose at Saint Gabriel’s Hall. He successfully passed the GED® exam, received an 1140 out of 1600 on his SAT test, and acquired Microsoft and Servsafe certifications at Saint Gabriel’s Hall. He will be attending Kutztown State University on scholarship starting August 27th.

For his part, Felix expresses genuine gratitude for the help and support he has received: “Saint Gabriel’s Hall is the best thing that ever happened to me. I got the time I needed to find out who I really am, and the resources that I never had before, the best support system, and with all that I made a future for myself. The people at Saint Gabe’s truly go out of their way to see potential in someone. I thought I was going to be a failure, but Saint Gabriel’s Hall changed all that for me.”

Saint Gabriel’s Hall is a residential program located in Audubon, PA for court-adjudicated male youths. It offers a year-round academic program as well as career and technical education in Culinary Arts, Microsoft Office, Building and Landscape Maintenance, and Youth Build Construction. Since 1898, Saint Gabriel’s Hall has been serving troubled youth in the spirit of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, founder of the Christian Brothers.  

No comments: