Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let's Dump These Phrases!

One phrase that really irritates me is "Sounds like a plan."
To begin with, it either is a plan or it isn't. If it merely sounds like a plan (but it's not actually one) why bother pursuing it?
But my real problem is I just don't like plans. I resist plans and planning. I don't make "to-do" lists. I like to be spontaneous. I like to be surprised.
And, like a lot of overworked words and phrases, "Sounds like a plan" isn't spontaneous anymore. It's trite, cliched and tired.
In fact, too many words and phrases are used so often that they're sounding the death knell for simple, original, concise and creative thought and expression. Here are a few of the worst offenders:

To read the rest of my column from today's Philadelphia Daily News, click here.

No comments: