Yes, Larry Hagman who just passed away at 81 was the star of Dallas, creating the legendary charater JR Ewing.
But did you also know these interesting facts about Hagman:
1) He actually was a native Texan, born in Fort Worth in 1931 and he had a natural connection to the law. His father was District Attorney Benjamin Jack Hagman.
2) Hagman had an actor's DNA. His mother was legendary Broadway musical star Mary Martin. She was born in Weatherford, Texas.
3) Hagman began his career as an actor not on TV but on the stage. He was a London cast member of his mother's hit show South Pacific and then appeared in plays on and off Broadway.
4) Though a Texan through and through, Hagman actually grew up in LA where he was raised by his grandmother.
5) Hagman lived in Malibu for years where he was known as the unofficial mayor of that tres chic seaside haunt.
6) Hagman was a veteran who was drafted and served in the U. S. Air Force.
7) Though he starred in the hit TV series I Dream Of Jeannie, that show only ran for five years and really didn't become a mega hit until it went into syndication.
8) Before Dallas Hagman bombed in two TV series flops, Here We Go Again and The Good Life. After Dallas, he appeared as the Honorable Judge Luther Charbonnet in the CBS series Orleans.
9) Yes, Larry Hagman did have a career beyond TV, having appeared in the movies Mother, Jugs & Speed, The Group and Superman.
10) Hagman had often spoken candidly about decades of drinking that led to cirrhosis of the liver and, in 1995, a life-saving liver transplant.