Thursday, August 20, 2015

Mom-To-Be Strikes Back For All Pregnant Women

Fed up with viewer complaints about her growing belly, Philadelphia's CBS 3 TV Meteorologist Katie Fehlinger, who is expecting twin girls next month, fought back in a Facebook post yesterday that has struck a nerve.

Here it is in its entirety:

Hey guys! Once more, I have to get something off my chest. So, the nature of my job makes me an easy target for criticism. I will always understand that, and I will most typically just ignore it. However, after someone blatantly called me a "sausage in casing" and another declared that "sticking your pregnant abdomen out like that is disgusting", I felt a need to draw a line and speak up.

Everyone's right to their opinion is important, but so are manners. And while rude comments like these will never make me feel the need to change anything about myself, I find a bigger underlying issue here. These particular nasty-grams were directed at a pregnant woman.

So this little manifesto of sorts is dedicated to every mother out there - other pregnant moms-to-be, moms reading this while their toddlers play on the swing set, moms whose kids have long since gone off to college...

You are beautiful.

Even during the most uncomfortable - and let's face it, less than glamorous - symptoms of pregnancy, what women go through to bring their precious children into the world is, simply put, AMAZING and you should be lauded.

Frankly, I don't care how "terrible" or "inappropriate" anyone thinks I look. I will gladly gain 50 pounds & suffer sleepless, uncomfortable nights if it means upping my chances to deliver 2 healthy baby girls. Now it's about more than aesthetics. I want these babies to have the best start possible. And that hopefully means my belly that "looks like it's about to explode!" will continue to grow the next few weeks.

I say let's raise a Shirley Temple to swollen feet, stretch marks, nausea, all the extra pounds and the dark circles! They're badges of motherhood. And for those of you who think that's "disgusting", remember a woman went through the very same thing to bring YOU into the world.

In the meantime, let's all remember the lesson Mom taught us - if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

No comments: