Thursday, September 5, 2019

Why Should ANYONE Care About Justin Bieber?

Why should I care about Justin Bieber?
I really don't know.
I can't say that I've consciously listened to any of his music. And what I have heard of it in passing has never really intrigued me.
Not that I found it offensive or anything like that. It's just didn't seem to be in my realm.
But I found myself caring about Justin about as much as anyone can care about a pop idol with zillions of followers. From the way he had been acting, I thought he must be under an enormous amount of pressure.
After all, he starting posting videos on You Tube as a pre-teen and was "discovered" at 13 and became an international sensation. There's no denying his enormous talent as something more than a mere entertainer -- he's a sort of dazzling showman who electrifies vast audiences. Now, at 25 he's beyond  the teen pop stage and appeals to fans of all ages and both sexes.
But he's been through a helluva lot. Still, the public has given him a wide berth and he's always remained likable.
And yet, he's been struggling with all this -- drugs, anxiety, depression, mood swings, panic attacks, etc. I'm not suggesting he become an object of pity -- and victimhood is far too pervasive as it is. But Justin (with over 100 million followers) and his world are a big part of the popular culture that cannot be ignored. He's reflective of something larger and perhaps even more pervasive than we might imagine.
So Justin has opened up about it all on Instagram and here are some excerpts from his statement:
As my talent progressed and I became ultra successful it happened within a strand of Two years. My whole world was flipped on its head . . . I went from a 13 year old boy from a small town to being praised left and right by the world with millions saying how much they loved me and how great I was. . . .
It’s hard to get out of bed in the morning with the right attitude when you are overwhelmed with your life your past, job, responsibilities, emotions, your family, finances your relationships. . . .
Everyone did everything for me so I never even learned the fundamentals of responsibility. So by this point I was 18 with no skills in the real world, with millions of dollars and access to whatever I wanted. This is a scary concept for anyone . . .
I started doing pretty heavy drugs at 19 and abused all of my relationships. I became resentful, disrespectful to women, and angry. . . .
You notice a lot of touring bands and people end up having a phase of drug abuse, and I believe its due to not being able to manage the huge ups and downs that come with being an entertainer . . .
I found myself doing things that I was so ashamed of, being super-promiscuous and stuff, and I think I used Xanax because I was so ashamed, My mom always said to treat women with respect. For me that was always in my head while I was doing it, so I could never enjoy it . . .
It's taken me years to bounce back from all of these terrible decisions, fix broken relationships, and change relationship habits. Luckily god blessed me with extraordinary people who love me for me. Now I am navigating the best season of my life 'MARRIAGE' !! Which is an amazing crazy new responsibility.
Though Justin ended his statement on a positive note, he also admitted that there have been days like he felt that it just wasn't worth living. Scary (and sadly familiar) scenario!
But it does seem as if Justin has certainly turned a corner. And let's hope that his story will encourage greater understanding and perhaps even give hope to others.
So, let's end with this catchy (but still meaningful) music video released earlier this year featuring Justin and Ed Sheerin. The talent and inventiveness speak volumes!






No comments: