Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Remembering A True American Oridinal!

While I enjoy country music, and liked Dolly Parton, I can't say that I was a fan.

I did see her perform live, in person once. It was at The Borgata in Atlantic City at the hotel's cavernous Event Center. It was not the best venue but if you wanted to see Dolly, you had to be prepared to share her with thousands of others. She was a legendary performer and, like many others, I wanted to see her perform live.

And guess what? Even though she appeared on a vast stage in a casino complex with bars dotting the auditorium and alcohol flowing freely and even though my seat was nowhere near what could be called the orchestra, she was in total command of the evening and she was wonderful.

She looked the way you expected her to look. She performed with all the musical accompaniment and bells and whistles you'd expect. She was in fine form, sounding exactly as you'd expect her to sound. She was responsive to the audience throughout and yes, she sang every song you wanted to hear -- all the hits!

That was Dolly Parton.

She was pure entertainment. The glitter, the glamour and the showbizz were all there but they were combined with just the right amount of down home folksiness you'd expect from Dolly. 

Her career was exceptionally well-managed but that was a testament to Dolly herself -- her savvy, her smarts, her good instincts and her professional discipline. I get the feeling she expected the best of her people every minute of every day just as she delivered the same. 

There was never a hint of scandal surrounding this woman. She never allowed herself to be drawn into partisan politics nor did she lecture her audience from the stage or via other avenues. A woman of great faith, she conveyed a sense of generosity, kindness and caring without a scintilla of righteousness.

A complete American success story, there's no doubt she loved this nation and its people and was the grateful embodiment of her own American journey, complete with all its tribulations and triumphs.

Dolly Parton was an American original!


No comments: