Tuesday, February 7, 2023

No, I Never Watch The Super Bowl; Here's Why . . .

I know this sounds sacrilegious, especially for someone from Philly, but I never watch the Super Bowl. It's not that I have anything against the Eagles or any other Philly team. I don't. It's just that . . . well, there are a lot of reasons. Let me explain:

1) The whole spectacle is overblown.
Like so many things today, the Super Bowl has been ballooned all out of proportion. The lead up to the game itself is too long, there's too much analysis and it's grossly overexposed. It's covered literally by thousands of members of the media. TMI! It's exhausting!

2) The game is often boring.
Basketball is a lot faster and often more exciting. Ditto hockey. But football games have become almost as long and tedious as a day at the ballpark. Many Super Bowl games have wound up with lopsided scores. There really was no contest. True, the commercials are great fun, but you don't have to watch the game to see them. You can now find them online. 

3) The halftime show is a drag.
To be perfectly honest with you, I don't even know most of the performers that are headlining these halftime shows nowadays. Sadly, so many of these mid game spectacles have become trashy and vulgar. I long for the old days of marching bands, family entertainment and unabashed patriotism. 

4) I'm just not a sports fan.
To me, it's still just a game. And I've never really been much into games. On the rare occasions when I did got sucked in, I was often disappointed -- like when the Eagles lost the Super Bowl in 1980 and again in 2004. An who can ever forget the Phillies' monumental collapse in 1964? Yes, I really am that old -- old enough to have seen so many Philly teams fold. Which brings me to the BIG reason who I don't watch.

5) I'm afraid I'll jinx 'em.
When I get involved -- when I watch -- the Philly teams seem to lose. And I don't wanna jinx 'em. I really, really, wanna see them win. And it's so much nicer to be pleasantly greeted with the good news that they've won, turn on the TV and enjoy the celebration. You get to savor the best part of the whole deal without all the torture of sitting through the game. Fly, Eagles, fly . . . . !

No comments: