Imagine being able to catch a free, live show on the Atlantic City Boardwalk any given night of the week this summer, just a short trip away.
Atlantic City's free Boardwalk - in addition to the popular beach bars on A.C.'s free beaches - will host more than 150 free live concerts and shows during Summer '14.
The Boardwalk will also be the perfect spot to view one of the biggest July 4th fireworks pyrotechnics shows in the country, the Atlantic City free beach concerts, parades and the return of the annual Atlantic City Air Show. It's no wonder that the Travel Channel's Annual Best Beach Awards of 2014 crowned Atlantic City as having the "Best Beach Boardwalk" in the world.
All of Atlantic City - from the City of Atlantic City, Atlantic City Alliance (ACA), Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA), casinos, businesses and local organizations and residents - have come together to present the "DO AC Summerlong Celebration of the Boardwalk," which will feature concerts, live shows, activities and other free events every day of the week all summer.
Here is just a sampling of the "Celebration" events announced so far. Stay tuned for updates at doatlanticcity.com.
1. FREE MUSIC Pick a genre, any genre... live music of all types will be booming from the Atlantic City Boardwalk this summer via a variety of free music series. (More details about the following free music series, other live show announcements, and the overall line-up of free entertainment on the A.C. Boardwalk this summer will be announced soon. For more information about these and many more events visit doatlanticcity.com<http://www.doatlanticcity.com>)
a. FREE Blake Shelton Beach Concert (July 31)
b. DO AC Summer Boardwalk Music Series (Featuring live bands with the "Boardwalk Beat" Dancers on the Main Stage at Kennedy Plaza on the Boardwalk each Fri.-Sun., 8-11 p.m., from June 20-Labor Day)
c. CRDA Summer Concert Series (Nine concerts on the beach and Boardwalk in July & August; details to be announced soon!)
d. Chicken Bone Beach Jazz on the Beach Series (Thursday nights in July & August from 7-10 p.m., includes opening act and national headliner.)
e. Atlantic City Free Public Library International Night Series (Wednesday nights in July & August from 7-8:30 p.m., schedule to be announced soon!)
f. Beach Bar Bands & DJs (Bally's Bikini Beach Bar, the new Bar Anticipation on the beach at Trump Plaza, Margaritaville's Landshark Bar & Grill on the beach at Resorts, HQ Beach Club and the new Revel Beach & Cabanas will feature live bands and DJs throughout the summer. Check casino sites for schedules.)
g. Daily concerts on the Midmer-Losh Pipe Organ in the Main Hall of Boardwalk Hall, followed by a chance to meet the organist, Dr. Steven Ball, and take a free, guided half-hour tour of the historic and world-renowned organ. The Midmer-Losh, was built between 1929 and 1932 by the Midmer-Losh Organ Company of Merrick, Long Island, N.Y and the Historic Organ Restoration Committee is presenting the new concert series for the first time since 1944! (Monday-Friday at noon, Free.)
2. FREE EVENTS Many of the destination-defining, tourism-driving events the Atlantic City Alliance produced in 2013 will return in 2014 along with several free citywide events that garner national attention, including:
a. DO AC Sand Sculpting World Cup (June 19-July 6) The world's top 20 sand sculptors from across the globe will create their eye-popping masterpieces in the DO AC Sand Sculpting World Cup. Before spectators' disbelieving eyes sculptors carve complex and detailed works, some as tall as 14 feet, with just sand and water as they compete in head-to-head singles and doubles competitions for global bragging rights and the most lucrative prizes in the world. The event, produced by the Atlantic City Alliance takes place on the Atlantic City Beach at Pennsylvania Avenue (between Resorts Casino Hotel and the Steel Pier) and is open 9am - 9pm daily. This year the event runs through the July 4th weekend. FREE and open to the public.
b. We the People, By the People, For the People 4th of July Fireworks (Friday, July 4) Fourth of July weekend kicks off with one of the top five fireworks displays in the country. This show is so big that it takes two ocean barges and one marina platform to fill the island's entire sky. More than 250,000 people take up their favorite viewing positions along the World Famous Boardwalk, at one of the many beach bar parties or viewing events, on the Steel Pier, or at the luxury casino resorts. Now in its third year producing the July 4th fireworks, the Atlantic City Alliance has asked the people to choose the songs for the show this year. FREE
c. Blake Shelton Free Beach Concert (July 31) Blake Shelton is coming to Atlantic City this summer for a free concert on the beach! Sign up at doatlanticcity.com to receive e-mail updates about the Blake Shelton concert, and be the first to know about the exact time, location and more. FREE
d. Atlantic City Airshow (August 13) Produced annually by the Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce, the AC Airshow is a spectacle for the entire family. The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds will once again headline the event, which has been a summer tradition for more than a decade. Each year hundreds of thousands of spectators gather on the beach and Boardwalk for the daylong event to watch the amazing stunts and breathtaking aeronautic maneuvers by a host of exciting commercial acts. FREE
e. Held in conjunction with the Airshow each year, the Atlantic City Salutes America's Armed Forces Parade takes place on the Boardwalk, Monday, August 11 at 6pm. Both events are supported by the City of Atlantic City, Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) and ACA. FREE
3. FREE ENTERTAINMENT Whether you want to start your day with a free fitness class, experience the nightly "DO AC 3D Sound & Light Show," or visit some of the new and historic attractions along the Boardwalk, the "DO AC Summerlong Celebration of the Boardwalk" is jam-packed with a variety of free activities, including:
a. The award-winning "DO AC" 3D Sound & Light Show is projected on the façade of Boardwalk Hall every half hour starting at 9:30 p.m. nightly. (The start and end time for the shows change depending on sunset and shows at Boardwalk Hall. For exact times visit doatlanticcity.com<http://doatlanticcity.com/>)
b. Two morning fitness classes - "AC Beach Body Boot Camp" (9 a.m.) and "AC Zumba" (10 a.m.) - will be held 7 days a week on the Boardwalk at the ARTLANTIC: Etude Atlantis site (California Avenue and the Boardwalk)
c. Get Crowned! The new Miss America tribute area at Kennedy Plaza on the Boardwalk (across from Boardwalk Hall) features a bronze sculpture created by New Jersey artist Brian Hanlon and is designed specially so that anyone can be "crowned" Miss America for a photo, video or just for fun; as well as an interactive digital kiosk. Other new attractions on the Boardwalk include the recently unveiled Heartwalk sculpture (a giant, 30-foot wooden heart constructed out of former pieces from the Atlantic City Boardwalk, on the Boardwalk at New York Avenue), new rides at the Steel Pier, grand re-opening of the historic Claridge Hotel - one of Atlantic City's three new "boutique" hotels on or nearby the "Great Wooden Way" opening this year, and the massive 27-panel land and sea-themed mural, "Journey," adorning Boardwalk Hall's West Hall.
d. Atlantic City's free beaches and Boardwalk feature fantastic people-watching spots, as well as great views, historic landmarks, free attractions (such as the New Jersey Korean War Memorial at Park Place and the Boardwalk at Brighton Park) and miles of sand, boards and surf to walk, run, swim and enjoy your favorite watersport activities.
4. AC EXPERIENCE (To truly experience Atlantic City, a stroll on the World Famous Boardwalk is a must. Along with free music series, mega-events and other daily and nightly entertainment, the Boardwalk affords many more opportunities to DO AC!)
· BOARDWALK AL FRESCO DINING: Several Boardwalk eateries offer al fresco dining, including the new Backyard Bar at Caesars, the Bungalow Lounge & Restaurant, Worship Surf Bar at Showboat, the Steel Pier (off the Boardwalk), the Landshark Bar & Grill at Resorts, as well as others.
· HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS WITH WATER VIEWS: Thanks to its location on a band of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Absecon Inlet, Atlantic City is surrounded by water. Restaurateurs have ample opportunity to capitalize on this asset by designing dining rooms and decks to maximize the "ooh" factor of the resort city's priceless views. And with dining options from luxury to casual there is a restaurant with an ocean view to suit every taste. Some of the extraordinary options on the Boardwalk include: Nero's Chophouse and Sushi Room at Caesars; FIN at the Tropicana Casino & Resort; the Scores adult entertainment complex at the Trump Taj Mahal; the Foundation Room at the House of Blues at Showboat; American Cut, Amada and Azure by Allegretti (all located at Revel), Phillips Seafood and Starbucks on Level 3 of The Pier Shops at Caesars, the Claridge and Chelsea boutique hotels, and, of course, the beach-based Landshark Bar & Grill, part of Resorts Casino Hotel's Margaritaville complex - which celebrates its one-year anniversary this year.
· BEACH BARS: Among the new beach bar options this summer, Bar Anticipation takes over the spot where the Trump Plaza Beach Bar used to be, and the Revel Beach & Cabanas, featuring three oceanfront pools, debuts. Other options include Bally's Bikini Beach Bar, HQ Beach Club at Revel and the Landshark Bar & Grill at Resorts.
· CASINOS: Many of Atlantic City's 11 casino hotels are located just off the Boardwalk. Inside, you'll find gaming floors, restaurants, spas, shops, casino bars and lounges, as well as some of the best nightlife and daylife venues on the East Coast. For a list of the array of clubs and other casino venues, visit doatlanticcity.com.
· ATTRACTIONS: Visit the iconic Steel Pier, the popular Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum, the multi-level, oceanfront retail and dining venue The Pier Shops at Caesars, among an assortment of other Boardwalk shops and restaurants. In between, take a ride on Atlantic City's famous Rolling Chairs or hop on the new Boardwalk Jitney, which makes its debut this summer.
This is just the beginning! Stay tuned for more announcements regarding free, live entertainment on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.
Visit doatlanticcity.com<http://www.doatlanticcity.com> for updates and for more information on the above events and attractions.
About Atlantic City
From sandals to stilettos and foie gras to funnel cakes, Atlantic City offers something for everyone. Enjoy world-class entertainment, dining, shopping, gaming, relaxing on the beach and strolling the historic Boardwalk in the city created to escape the city. For more information visit www.doatlanticcity.com<http://www.doatlanticcity.com> or:
* Facebook - www.facebook.com/DOAtlanticCity<http://www.facebook.com/DOAtlanticCity>
* Twitter - www.twitter.com/VisitAC<http://www.twitter.com/VisitAC>
* YouTube - www.YouTube.com/DOAC<http://www.YouTube.com/DOAC>
* Foursquare - www.foursquare.com/VisitAC<http://www.foursquare.com/VisitAC>
* Instagram - www.instagram.com/DOAC<http://www.instagram.com/DOAC>
* Pinterest - www.pinterest.com/DOAtlanticCity<http://www.pinterest.com/DOAtlanticCity>
* Twitter for Media Only - www.twitter.com/VisitACpress<http://www.twitter.com/VisitACpress>
The Atlantic City Alliance was established in 2011 as a private, not-for-profit corporation whose primary mission is to develop and implement a full-scale, broad-based, multi-year marketing program for Atlantic City.