ACTION ALERT from Greater Philadelphia ZOA:
While the Israel Defense Forces and other Israeli security agencies try to stop the Palestinian-Arab rocket attacks that are pounding Israeli cities and other communities, rioting, fires and other violence, and incitement against Jews -- and civil defense agencies makes sure that shelters are open and ready -- there are steps that we in the Diaspora can take to help. Below the advocacy items are links to analysis that will give you and others important background information about what is happening as well as the chronology.
At least three Israelis have been murdered in the rocket attacks and scores are hurt. Homes and schools and at least one passenger bus have taken direct hits.
As this email was compiled, Palestinian-Arabs had fired more than 700 rockets at Israeli communities during the past 24 hours – including some reaching Jerusalem.
What Can Each of Us Do:
1. Advocacy (see details below).
2. Contact friends and family in Israel – let them know you are thinking about them and praying for their well-being. Try to reassure them.
3. Buy goods from Israel via Israeli websites (see examples below) and at local stores. A surge in economic support will boost morale as well as the economy. Due to the rockets and violence, businesses may need to close. Schools in the south are closed for now. Reservists may be called to duty which will take some Israelis out of the workforce.
4. Pray both for the well-being of Israel and for the success and safety of the IDF. Urge rabbis and other clergy to disseminate these prayers electronically – prayer helps! Also ask them to send out to the community ACCURATE news about what is happening since many people rely on anti-Israel media and thus are uninformed – and worse, believe that Israel is at fault.
5. Support ZOA. Your donations fuel our efforts to support and defend Israel. During these times we made need to send out special mailings or engage in other special activities. We may have a unity rally or other gathering and need you extra financial support now. See donation information below.
6. Fly an Israeli flag from your home and/or car. Wear an Israeli flag pin on your lapel, jacket, or shirt, blouse or cap. Show your solidarity and let others see it.
7. Share this ACTION ALERT with your email lists and post the Action items on social media.
Buy items from Israel on Israeli Web sites
1. Press the White House to let Israel do whatever it deems necessary to stop the violence against her people and to dismantle the terrorist groups including Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Fatah and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. Also: Iran supports most of those organizations. Tell the White House that this is NOT the time to relax or end sanctions against Iran. Call the White House at: 202-456-1414. The White House comment line (202-456-1111) has been disabled. Send an email message here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/ Also see the White House on Facebook and on Twitter.
2. Contact your representatives in Washington (your House member and both senators) and ask them to issue statements in support of Israel and Israel’s right to defend herself. Ask that they put a hold on any monies targeted for the Palestinian-Arabs that have not yet been disbursed. Ask them to condemn fellow lawmakers who have made anti-Israel statements or social media posts. Members of Congress from our region and contact information: https://philly.zoa.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2021/01/congress-list-revised-011421.pdf
3. Monitor all local media, respond to false reporting that blame Israel for starting the violence, or that play up Arab casualties vs. Israeli casualties. It is important to remind people in the media that the Arabs deliberately target Jewish civilians with their rockets and incendiary devices – and that they use their own people as human shields to increase the number of their casualties for public relations purposes. Meanwhile, Israel takes steps that no other military in the world would to prevent or minimize civilian casualties. These last points could be the subject of a letter to the editor, web comment or blog comment. Thus: Be reactive and pro-active. Use social media liberally to inform others who may be misinformed by the mainstream media. See some examples of local anti-Israel media bias at the end of this email.
See our local and national media directory: https://philly.zoa.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2021/03/MEDIA-ACTION-GUIDE-February-2021.pdf
Stay up-to-date on the news and developments – make sure your sources of information are accurate and reliable. https://philly.zoa.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/09/web-internet-sites-updated-090120.pdf
See screen shots of local anti-Israel media bias below.
We are told that even on the Salem Radio Network, which generally features pro-Israel programming, the news at the top and bottom of the hour is biased against Israel.
Contact info for Salem: https://srnonline.com/contact-us