Wednesday, December 20, 2017

'It's About Laying The Groundwork For Others . . . '

“Ultimately, leadership is not about glorious crowning acts. It's about keeping your team focused on a goal and motivated to do their best to achieve it, especially when the stakes are high and the consequences really matter. It is about laying the groundwork for others' success, and then standing back and letting them shine.” – Astronaut Chris Hadfield

As my time with The Philadelphia Orchestra comes to a close, I identify with this wise quote. Over the past eight years, my role as President and CEO of this storied institution has brought me tremendous joy. It was an honor to return to the organization where I began my career and where I could give back to the Fabulous Philadelphians and their iconic Philadelphia Sound. As I begin my next act, I leave with the confidence that our incredible team is implementing a plan that ensures the Orchestra’s future is bright.

Recently I had the opportunity to sit down with documentary producer Sam Katz to talk about the Orchestra’s amazing journey and some of my favorite memories. I invite you to watch the result of that conversation—a tremendous video that showcases what makes the Orchestra so special. 

Allison Vulgamore interview clip

Thank you to Sam and his team at History Making Productions for creating such a thoughtful, thorough, and lovely tribute.

And a special thank you to all of you, our loyal patrons, for your dedication to the Orchestra. I hope that you will continue to support the work of the Orchestra for generations to come. I know that the organization will continue to shine. Thank you, Philadelphia!

Yours in Music,
Allison Vulgamore
President and CEO 

No comments: