The famed New York Public Library has released a list of the top 10 checkouts since the library first opened in 1895.
Here are some factors that traditionally determine a book's popularity:
- Length: The shorter the book, the more turnover or circulation. This is why children’s books are often among the most circulated.
- Length of time in print: Clearly, the longer a story is in print, the longer the public has to check it out.
- Languages available: In a city like New York, the more languages a title is available in means more checkouts.
- Universal appeal: The more a story appeals to different tastes, the more checkouts it will receive
- Current events: Particularly with adult books, what is happening in the world greatly impacts checkouts.
- School: If a book has been on school lists for many decades, it is more likely to be a top checkout.
- Awards and acknowledgment: Awards generate awareness and excitement that then generate checkouts.
10) The Very Hungry Caterpillar
9) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
8) How To Win friends and Influence People
7) Farenheit 451
6) Charlotte's Web
5) To Kill A Mockingbird
4) Where The Wild Things Are
2) The Cat In The Hat
1) The Snowy Day