Later this year Sophia Loren will turn 85.
And as she enters the midway point of her ninth decade, here are some words of wisdom from one of the most beautiful, most talented, most passionate women in the world:
• "There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age."
• "You have to enjoy life. Always be surrounded by people that you like, people who have a nice conversation. There are so many positive things to think about."
• "When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself, and once for her child."
• "Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical."
• "I've never tried to block out the memories of the past, even though some are painful. I don't understand people who hide from their past. Everything you live through helps to make you the person you are now."
• "If you haven't cried, your eyes can't be beautiful."
• "Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent."
• "It's a mistake to think that once you're done with school you need never learn anything new."