Saturday, February 26, 2011

Here's A Rare Musical Gem Worth Finding!

The first time I heard it I was transfixed.
I was listening to SIRIUS satellite radio in my car when the song began and I found myself mesmerized.
Here was a captivating, mellow (though nonetheless intense) voice singing a song I had never heard before.
At first I thought it might be the late Chet Baker. But there was no brass accompaniment and the voice wasn't quite as sweet or wispy as Baker's.
The song was Trust In Me written by Milton Anger, Jean Schwartz and Ned Weaver.
The singer was Harry Nilsson
Nilsson's stunning, rhapsodic sound put me in mind of late greats such as Billy Eckstine or Peggy Lee.
Nilsson achieved the peak of his commercial success in the early 1970s.
On all but his earliest recordings he is credited as 'Nilsson' and is known for the hit singles Without You, Coconut and Everybody's Talkin. he's also known for songs appearing in numerous movies and television shows.
He was awarded Grammys for two of his recordings; best male contemporary vocal in 1969 for Everybody's Talkin', the theme song to the Academy Award-winning movie Midnight Cowboy, and best male pop vocal in 1972 for Without You.
Hearing the song Trust In Me led me to the album that contains the song: A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night.
In  "A Little Touch . . ." (1973) Nilsson performs pop standards (by the likes of Berlin, Kalmar and Ruby) in front of the London Symphony Orchestra arranged and conducted by veteran Gordon Jenkins in sessions produced by Derek Taylor.
Many believe that "A Little Touch . . . " was really the first crossover album ever produced. It is lush and totally enthralling. Nilsson's distinctive voice is in fine form throughout.
I had to search for this album but I finally found it through Amazon. I'm so glad I got my hands on it.
Get yourself a copy of it -- but make sure you get the expanded album with the extra tracks, for that is the only version that contains the inimitable Trust In Me.
You're not likely to hear anything like this anywhere.

No comments: