Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When Does 'Done' Not Mean Done?


TRENTON TO ENGLISH TRANSLATION: “DONE”

Text Box: “I want this thing done by the middle of March. That’s my goal, to get the pension bill done. I’m working on benefit reform. I would like to get all of this stuff done, hopefully by April, the latest, with the benefit reform. But I want to get this stuff finished because it has to be finished. This is what’s killing the state of New Jersey. The cost of the pension and health care are destroying the state’s economy.”



–Sen. Stephen Sweeney, 2/10/10


TRADITIONAL USE:

done
[duhn] verb, adjective
–verb
1.      past participle of do (to accomplish; finish; complete)
−adjective
2.      completed; finished; through: Our work is done.


TRENTON TRANSLATION:

done
[duhn] verb, adjective
–verb
1.      To avoid action or progress; a demonstration of inactivity
−adjective
2.      Incomplete; unfinished; idle: We are going to get this done, not today, not tomorrow, but soon, at a date to be determined.

Examples:
"I've always said the bills would be moving in the fall and that we would be having hearings and we are." Sweeney insists he's always said work on the tool kit would be completed by early to mid-October.  (Kevin McArdle, “Hearing Today on Race to the Top Gaffe,” NJ 101.5 FM, 9/7/2010)

“The other commitment that we have made to each other. And all of us I think have said this repeatedly over time, is that when we turn in January to our work, that we are going to get pension and health benefit reform done. Each one of these things is a building block to finally controlling property taxes in New Jersey. We now have a levy cap. We’re dealing with interest arbitration. We have some other ‘tool kit’ items that we’re going to have to turn to as well. And then we’re going to turn to pension and health benefits as well.  We’ve made that commitment to each other both privately and public.”   (Sen. Stephen Sweeney, Arbitration compromise press conference, 12/9/2010)

“In the beginning of the year … I’m looking for pension reform -- I’m looking to do pension reform. And I have every intention of seeing pension reform go forward. Health care reform needs to be worked on also and needs to be done. Because they’re the big drivers – and you know – in government. They’re big drivers, and Eric. My biggest concern is making -- I want to fix the pensions for one reason alone. I want to make sure that the people that were promised them, have them.”  (Sen. Stephen Sweeney, Interview with Eric Scott on NJ 101.5 FM, 12/22/2010)

I want this thing done by the middle of March. That’s my goal, to get the pension bill done. I’m working on benefit reform. I would like to get all of this stuff done, hopefully by April, the latest, with the benefit reform. But I want to get this stuff finished because it has to be finished. This is what’s killing the state of New Jersey. The cost of the pension and health care are destroying the state’s economy.”  (Sen. Stephen Sweeney, Interview with Jim Gearhart & Eric Scott on NJ 101.5 FM, 2/10/20110)

No comments: