Monday, August 12, 2013
Christie Nominates Fernandez-Vina To High Court
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has turned to South Jersey (Camden County) for his newest nominee to the New Jersey State Supreme Court.
The Governor has nominated Superior Court Judge Faustino J. Fenandez-Vina to the court. Judge Fernandez-Vina is currently the Camden County Assignment Judge for the Superior Court.
He has an inspiring story, outstanding background, impeccable credentials and splendid record of service.
But don't just take out word for it.
Learn about him for yourself and read what others have said about him:
Meet The Honorable Faustino J. Fernandez-Vina
Hon. Faustino J. Fernandez-Vina has served as a Judge on the New Jersey Superior Court since July 2004.
· Judge Fernandez-Vina was nominated to the Superior Court by Democratic Governor James McGreevey in 2004.
· He was the first male, Hispanic nominee to the Superior Court from Camden County.
· Judge Fernandez-Vina was unanimously approved by the Judiciary Committee, and unanimously confirmed by the full Senate.
o Democratic State Senator John Adler: [H]e is truly known as one of the leaders of the bar…. He’s the highest level of competence and it’s just the total package…”
· He was re-nominated and re-confirmed in 2011
· In 2012, Judge Fernandez-Vina was named Assignment Judge of the Camden Vicinage by the Corzine-appointed New Jersey Supreme Court Chief Justice Stuart Rabner.
o Chief Justice Rabner: “Judge Fernandez-Vina brings to the position of assignment judge a wealth of experience, a proven, practical approach to addressing issues, superb judgment and the respect of the bench and bar.”
o Rabner: “I am confident that under his leadership, the Camden Vicinage will continue to provide the highest quality of service to the public.
Judge Fernandez-Vina has 22 years of private-sector legal experience
· Fernandez-Vina was a partner at Kelley, Wardell & Craig from 1998-2004 and a partner at Capehart & Scatchard from 1993-1998, representing municipalities and specializing in legal malpractice.
· He worked as an Associate at the Law Office of John J. Spence from 1982-1992.
· Fernandez-Vina was a Law Clerk to the late Hon. E. Stevenson Fluharty, J.S.C., Camden
· He has been an active member of a variety of legal and professional organizations:
o New Jersey Supreme Court Ad Hoc Committee on Code of Judicial Conduct
o New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Character
o New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Expedited Civil Actions
o New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Salaries and Pensions
o New Jersey Supreme Court Practice Committee
o New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Jury Selection in Civil and Criminal Trials
o Chair of the Civil Trial Bar Section for the New Jersey State Bar Association
o National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
o Camden and Burlington County Bar Associations
Fernandez-Vina received his law degree from Rutgers University – Camden in 1978.
· Fernandez-Vina earned his Bachelor of Arts in history from Widener University in 1974.
o While at Widener, Fernandez-Vina was an all-conference football player, playing guard and linebacker positions.
Fernandez-Vina was born in Santiago, Cuba on February 15, 1952.