Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Legislator's Tortured Journey

I'm sitting here scratching my head as I read New Jersey State Senator Steve Sweeney's explanation of why he didn't vote on the gay marriage bill that was presented to the New Jersey State Legislature last week.
You know Sweeney -- he's the Democrat union leader from Gloucester County who's expected to become the new President of the New Jersey State Senate.
Sweeney appears to be a tough, burly guy. But somehow he just couldn't bring himself to cast a vote on gay marriage.
Anyway, here's how Sweeney explains it in the Courier-Post:
"Sweeney said he was left undecided between his Catholic faith and his feeling that gay marriage was a civil rights issue. He said he was leaning toward voting for the bill and had it reached 19 or 20 votes 'I probably would have voted for it.'"
And then Sweeney went on to blame his party for not scheduling the bill for a vote in the spring when he says it had a better chance of passing.
Ain't it a shame that legislators have to actually make decisions on things like this?
I mean, in a perfect world no one would have to decide these icky matters and everything would just naturally be wonderful.
So here, with apologies to Tony Bennet and Ornadel and Bricuse, we dedicate the following to Steve Sweeney:
If I ruled the world
Every day would be the first day of Spring
Every heart would have a new song to sing
And we'd sing of the joy
Every morning would bring.

If I ruled the world
Every man would be as free as a bird
Every voice would be a voice to be heard
Take my word
We would treasure each day that occurred.

My world would be a beautiful place
Where we would weave such a wonderful dream
My world would wear a smile on its face
Like the man in the moon
When the moon beams.

If I ruled the world
Every man would say the world was his friend
There'd be happiness that no man could end
No my friend
Not if I ruled the world.

Every head would be held up high
There'd be sunshine in everyone's sky
If day ever dawned
When I ruled the world.

No comments: